Reinstalling PE

Hey Everyone, Im hoping that someone will be able to answer this one. I am quite a freak when it comes to keeping my PC clean. As a result of this, I format my computer on a monthly basis, thus having to redownload PE everytime I clean. Is there anyway to transfer the install over to a new PC? Maybe copy the program group over? I jsut didn’t know if there were any registry files that got updated or not. If no one has an answer to this then next time I install i will load up InstallWatch and post a response back to what files are needed. I know that once you put it on another PC you will probably have to wait at least for the updates to occur. But Im hoping that someone has done this before and knows a way to do this. As i live in the US it takes about 6 hours for the install and thats just too painful. Thanks in advance =D

-Samantha

Just backup the entire PE folder + subfolders, after reinstall, create a new Project Entropia shortcut manually and you are set. Done it three times now, always worked.

Excellent !!! I apreciate the help ChainFire =D

[QUOTE=Samantha Carter]
Hey Everyone, Im hoping that someone will be able to answer this one. I am quite a freak when it comes to keeping my PC clean. As a result of this, I format my computer on a monthly basis, thus having to redownload PE everytime I clean. Is there anyway to transfer the install over to a new PC? Maybe copy the program group over? I jsut didn’t know if there were any registry files that got updated or not. If no one has an answer to this then next time I install i will load up InstallWatch and post a response back to what files are needed. I know that once you put it on another PC you will probably have to wait at least for the updates to occur. But Im hoping that someone has done this before and knows a way to do this. As i live in the US it takes about 6 hours for the install and thats just too painful. Thanks in advance =D

-Samantha
[/QUOTE]

That is why I use Windows Updates, a good Antivirus (I mean the best one there is), 3 antispyware programs and alot of system tweaking towards security. All updates applied.

And my Windows XP won’t die now… not even after 2.4 years. And I have all the software working, reinstalling it takes 3-4 days until I am fully operational. :cool:

To really have PE moved/reinstalled in a good fashion, start the installer, wait for it to start downloading the files, kill it, then copy over ALL the previous instalation. Like nothing happened.

You can use an archiver that knows RAR, ACE or better 7zip and store the whole folder in one smaller file.

As a result of this, I format my computer on a monthly basis, thus having to redownload PE everytime I clean.

What are you trying to achieve by doing this? Reinstalling the old software means reinstalling the old bugs, therefore you do a useless thing. A monthly software update is good but formating HHD every month is extreme.

Another way to install PE is to go to the PE FTP site, download the big client file and install it. This will install fast and the updates are not so time consuming. And you can even keep a copy of PE kit on some CD.

PE FTP site:
ftp://ftp.project-entropia.com/

Link to the last PE client:
ftp://ftp.project-entropia.com/Clients/PE_7.7.0.exe

EDIT. It seems that there is no big client file for VU 8.x and probably this method will not preserve your log file, unless you save you log file on another drive.

Backup Software

There is a much better way to reimage your PC than reinstalling everytime. Use a backup program such as Norton Ghost to create a drive image. Use an external hard drive for storage. Make a fresh Windows install, install all your software (including PE), then backup this drive image. You will want to update this image periodically, such as after a new VU.

[QUOTE=JavAbeen]
There is a much better way to reimage your PC than reinstalling everytime. Use a backup program such as Norton Ghost to create a drive image. Use an external hard drive for storage. Make a fresh Windows install, install all your software (including PE), then backup this drive image. You will want to update this image periodically, such as after a new VU.
[/QUOTE]

You are missing some points:

  1. Windows users DO NOT know what backup is. It is not implemented in the OS (don’t argue, the windows provided tool is %$%#)
  2. You are asking someone to buy software they do not know what is used for… and its expensive
  3. You are asking someone to buy and successfully use an external (extra) hard drive wich is again expensive.

Normal PC users fail at theese 3 points. However, they are quick to learn how to execute a FORMAT C: command without knowing what to do next ore prepare before.

So far, the best suggested solution is to download the installer, and have a complete backup. I think it can fit an entire CD-ROM.

PS: thanks for advertising bloatware.